Thursday, August 30, 2007

WHAT WENT ON TODAY?!

I checked my emails today. Another 20 or so of them asking the same question... what went on today? I thought to myself "Why? What was so different? And where?" I realized then they were Toronto-based. And Ontario-based too. Actually, I wasn't too surprised with the temps, nor the sky conditions, but the air quality is what really surprised me. I tell you why below. Then I'll explain what went on with the weather and give you a timeline...or so.

The smog. This morning I was up around 7AM and got ready for work. I started today at around 10AM. (On different days I start at different times; sometimes 4AM and sometimes 6PM...in case you were wondering. And I deliver (and broadcast) the weather). I usually also give the "Smog Readings" and record them and today I'll use Toronto as a prime example. This morning around 10:02AM the smog was at 42 (Moderate). It hovered around that index until 12PM. At 12 I checked the smog and the AQI: 7 (Very Good) and not one index in Ontario went above 16. So what happened? Well, didn't most of the forecasters predict a good Air quality today? This was mainly because of the heat and humidex being so low. When heat is not as high, and there is not much mugginess in the air, the smog decreases.

The sky. It was rainy, cloudy and so in the morning then cleared up in the afternoon. I predicted partly cloudy skies and sunny in the afternoon. It was because the radar imagery managed to clear up by 12. In addition to that, the barometric pressure was on the rise. When the pressure is on the rise, then the sky becomes clearer: the higher the pressure, the better the sky condition. Click here for a detailed picture of a barometer to see what I mean.

The temperature. Drastic change from yesterday. Yesterday it was 33 C feeling like 44C, but today it returned to normal conditions. Don't worry...it wasn't a heat wave, nor was it breaking records. We just reached previous records, but did not surpass it.

Heat Wave: A heat wave is only considered a "heat wave" when temperatures exceed 32C for three days in a row.

The wind and humdity. Can't complain...it was normal. Right?

I'll have your long weekend forecast for you tomorrow. Enjoy the warm weather.

If you have a weather question, please email me at (city.weather@yahoo.ca).

No comments: