Wednesday, August 8, 2007

WEATHER STATIONS & JULY RAIN TOTALS


Truth be told, I've been getting a lot of emails and I appologize for the lack of response. I think I'll be working this vacation answering emails...or writing ways I can, anyways. I promise though, I will get those emails answered before the end of Summer (meaning beginning of September).
I've actually been getting quite a dozen emails asking this question: What are weather stations? When are they used? What are they for? How is it used... etc. Today is the day I answer that question.
To the left, is an example of just one of the various types of weather stations, although all consist of the same tools.
Weather Stations are just like tracking the weather, only from different places. Each station transmits the weather back onto the computer to track storms, temps and help [us] track weather and transmit it back to you, for an EXACT look at the weather in YOUR area. It makes tracking weather easier.
To get a complete in-depth tour of what weather stations consist of, click HERE. This link will also be posted on our "CityWeather Links" column found on the left-hand side of the blog. This will tell you each of the instruments used in a weather station.
JULY RAIN TOTALS (for Toronto):
From the various CityNews Weather Stations across the G.T.A., [they] were able to collect July's rain totals for Toronto for various parts of the city.
Again, truth be told, July was a dry month and you may be surprised at the results.
RESULTS*:
Pearson Int'l Airport: 47.4mm
The average amount of rain at Pearson is 74.4 mm, respectably.
Caledon: 8mm
Newmarket: 9mm
Scarborough: 51mm
Ajax: 16mm
Oakville: 20mm
Mississauga: 31mm
Vaughan: 33mm
North York: 43mm
Brampton: 36mm
Thornhill: Did not record rain averages accurately this month.
*All measurements are calculated at a respectable average with courtesy of CityNews (http://www.citynews.ca/).
Keep in mind that I am headed on holidays Friday, so I will only be blogging tomorrow, and returning Wednesday. You are more than welcome to continue the emails.

No comments: